Featured Stories

Adventure and Accomplishments at JCC Camp Shalom

Everyone wants the best for their children...during the school year and over the summer. One mother of a child with special needs found a fun, safe and secure camp experience for her son at the JCC's Camp Shalom's Camp Tikvah.

"How excited – and thankful – we are about our son's camp experience. While his limited verbal ability doesn't allow him to give us the full details of his day, he gets up every morning and asks, 'Camp today?' or 'Field trip today?,' which is music to my our ears, since it lets us know he is looking forward to spending time with you!

It makes my heart happy to see him hop right out of the car and take one of your counselor's hands in the morning. Believe, me, if he wasn't having a blast this would not be happening! Thank you for the amazing people who work with the Tikvah campers. I appreciate all the wonderful life experiences your camp has provided. It's a blessing to see our son smile and happy about going to camp every day. I'll be shouting the awesomeness of Camp Shalom to all of my friends and family members. Thanks again!"

It does our hearts good to hear parents' appreciation and how heritage, pride and self-assurance are being so successfully fostered. The Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County and its partner agencies work diligently to deliver dozens of programs to hundreds of families to make our Jewish community more inclusive for all its members. And the JCC's Camp Shalom is just one example of how our efforts help break down barriers to participation that families and individuals face.

Camp Tikvah provides a summer camp experience for children in 3rd to 10th grades with varying exceptionalities -- cognitive, emotional, developmental and learning disabilities. The staff embraces each participant's individuality and supports campers in their efforts to improve their abilities and reach their goals. Weekly activities include coking, sports, arts and crafts, games, swimming and water play, field trips, music, science and creative movement.

The camp boasts a great location (location, location!), a highly trained and caring staff, low staff-to-camper ratios, and a happy, welcoming and nurturing environment. But just don't take our word for it; take a read of the testimonial below, from the mom of a special needs camper...

Visit the JCC web site to learn more about all the programs and services offered for the entire community.

Camp Shalom is just one of many Federation-funded Experiential Jewish Education opportunities that provide resources for people with disabilities.

We believe that some of the best ways to engage young people in Jewish life is through hands-on, activity-based, non-textbook learning. Opportunities to learn are everywhere; at summer camps, in school clubs, youth groups and synagogues. To that end, Federation supports programs that make any time a teachable moment, and every moment an opportunity for Jewish learning and engagement.

To learn more, visit the Federation web site.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers