Featured Stories

Baking With Bubbe

On Sunday, August 5, 2012, a group gathered at The Tradition of the Palm Beaches assisted living facility to join the senior residents for a delicious baking demonstration. "Baking With Bubbe," a program of Next Gen Jewish Palm Beach of the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County, drew participants representing a wide range of professional backgrounds, and a diverse range of Palm Beach County neighborhoods.

Betsy Cohen, a talented baker and blogger of DessertsRequired.com, demonstrated her delicious recipes for gooey brownie cups and chocolate chip cookie dough truffles -- which everyone had a chance to enjoy. "The chocolate truffles were incredible," enthused one participant.

The afternoon of treats and multi-generational mingling was conceived by Emerging Leadership Project alumni Jonathan Saltzburg, Benjamin Klein, Muriel Strosberg and Sam Fisch. The opportunity to spend time with older members of the community was "refreshing and inspiring," reflected Saltzburg.

Thanks to Cohen's delicious confections, interactive presentation and infectious energy, participants young and old were able to join the age-old Jewish tradition of connecting over food. While conversation started with reminiscences about favorite treats, the seniors and young adults were soon sharing personal stories about their shared Jewish community.

Jason DelGrosso, a member of the newest cohort of the Emerging Leadership Project and a Next Gen participant, was struck by a particularly memorable interaction: "I spoke one-to-one with (an elderly) woman, and at one point she held my hand and said, 'I just want to be able to say that I touched the future of the community.'"

Muriel Strosberg commented, “I met one woman, in particular, and felt a particular connection. She was from Poland -- and my family comes from Poland -- so immediately we felt comfortable with each other, we could have been family. The next time I come to the Tradition for an event, I’ll be looking for her.”

Next Gen Jewish Palm Beach provides meaningful opportunities for engagement in Jewish community, social and professional networking, volunteerism and philanthropy for Jewish young adults 22-45.

The Emerging Leadership Project is the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County's leadership development program for young adults. The two-year program combines skill development in all aspects of non-profit leadership with the exploration of Jewish cultural and individual identity. Participants benefit from opportunities for business and social networking, as well as access to leaders in the Palm Beach County community and beyond. The second year of the program is project-based, with participants conceptualizing and executing educational and volunteer programs for their Next Gen Jewish Palm Beach peers.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers