Featured Stories

Reading is Fundamental and Fun Thanks to Federation’s Literacy Program

As the old saying goes, “Reading is fundamental.” Unfortunately in Palm Beach County 28 percent of public fourth grade students and 61 percent of tenth grade students read below grade level according to the 2010 Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test.

The Anne & Sam Klein Jewish Coalition for Literacy, a program initiated by Federation’s Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) is specifically designed to help this exact demographic – public elementary school children.

Through the popular and growing program, volunteers provide the gift of reading to more than 4,000 children in more than 57 public elementary schools.

“Reading on the Radio” is one such program created by the Anne & Sam Klein Jewish Coalition for Literacy. It was developed from a partnership between Federation and the KVJ Show (formerly 95.5 FM, and now on 97.3 FM). South Florida radio personalities Kevin Rolston, Virginia Sinicki and Jason Pennington share their own love of reading with third- to fifth-grade students throughout Palm Beach County by sharing passages from Florida Sunshine State and school district-approved books.

The KVJ show then invites students to call into the radio on Friday mornings (before school) to answer questions about that week’s book. Beyond being on the radio, students are competing to win a pizza party for their classroom. Acreage Pines, which reminded its students to participate in the program with a weekly update on the morning news during the fall of 2013, led the pack, winning the pizza party week after week.

“I cannot tell you how fulfilling it was to tune in, holding my breath, waiting to hear who got through and if they knew the answer,” aid Acreage Pines Principal Amy Dujon. “I was so proud, and must have been very entertaining to the drivers around me who saw me scream with joy as I drove to work!”

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers