Featured Stories

National Mentoring Month highlights life-changing stories in our community

“Without a doubt, our lives are much different because [our son’s] mentor wanted to make a difference in a child’s life,” says Nancy, who knows firsthand the impact of mentoring on a child.

Nancy’s son, Logan, was partnered with a mentor through the Judith Jack Rosenberg Mentoring 4 Kids program, implemented by Federation’s partner agency Alpert Jewish Family & Children’s Service (AJFCS).

As January is National Mentoring Month, it’s important to highlight life-changing stories in our community like Logan’s, which demonstrate the importance of mentors in a young person’s life.

“Logan has become like a son to me,” said Andy. “He has actually inspired me to become a better person. My goal was to point Logan in the right direction academically and he has made unbelievable progress both academically and with his music. I am so proud of him and he will always be a big part of my life.”

Established in 1998, Mentoring 4 Kids serves children ages 6-14 who have lost a caregiver through death or divorce. The program matches children with same-gender adult volunteer mentors who provide unconditional friendship and support. The program is free and open to all faiths, races, and ethnicities.

Countless children and mentors have built trusting friendships since Mentoring 4 Kids began. Mentors have created bonds that have helped kids move on from a difficult period of their life and encouraged them to continue for their goals and dreams. They have, to put it simply, made growing up a little easier.

In a heartfelt letter to Andy, Logan and Nancy may have said it best: “You have not just come into our lives and gone away. You have stayed with us. That is what really counts. That is real love and support.”

To learn more about Mentoring 4 Kids, click here.  

Interested in becoming a volunteer or referring a child to the program? Contact Mentoring 4 Kids Program Director Karen Cohen, MSW, at 561.238.0285 or via email.

January is National Mentoring Month.

National Mentoring Month was created in 2002 by the Harvard School of Public Health and MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership. National Mentoring Month focuses attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us — individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits — can work together to increase the number of mentors to assure positive outcomes for our young people.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers