Featured Stories

Be a Hero. Be a Mentor

When a child loses a caregiver, it can be a traumatic experience, not just for the child, but the family left behind. In an instant, their worlds have changed; help and support are needed more than ever.

Help is here.

The Judith and Jack Rosenberg Mentoring 4 Kids Program (M4K) is part of Alpert Jewish Family & Children's Service. Established in 1998, it serves children ages 6-14 who have lost a caregiver through death or divorce. It matches children with adult mentors, who provide friendship and support. The program is free and open to all faiths and ethnicities.

Each time M4K pairs a child with a role model, we start something incredible: a one-to-one relationship built on trust and friendship that can blossom into a future of unlimited potential. Spend time together. Play sports. Go on a hike. Eat a pizza with everything on it. Whatever it is you enjoy, you’ll enjoy it even more as a volunteer mentor to a child growing up in a single-parent home.

Think back. Who encouraged you? Who supported your goals and dreams? Who could go to when things seemed hard to handle? We’ve all had a mentor in our in lives that made the challenges of growing up a little, if not a lot easier.

Mentors are often unsung heroes. This is certainly true in the case of Traci Pincourt-Braun. “I have been involved in the M4K program for about two and a half years. It is one of the most rewarding programs I have been a part of. I thoroughly enjoy the time I spend with Jesse my mentee. I particularly love watching her grow and change as time passes. She is an absolute joy to have in my life and I would recommend M4K strongly. Jesse feels like extended family to me, I have to remind myself that this is actually a program. I certainly look forward to many more years of mentoring Jesse, happily.”

Would you like to be a Mentor? Here’s how you make the difference:

• Mentors fill the void of an absent caregiver.
  • Mentors help improve a young person's self-esteem and social skills.
  • Mentors help keep students in school.
  • Children with a mentor are more likely to finish high-school and attend college
  • Students who meet regularly with their mentors are 52% less likely than their peers to skip a day of school and 37% less likely to skip a class (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters).
  • Children who meet regularly with their mentors are 46% less likely than their peers to start using illegal drugs and 27% less likely to start drinking (Public/Private Ventures study of Big Brothers Big Sisters).
  • About 40% of a teenager's waking hours are spent without companionship or supervision. Mentors provide teens with a valuable place to spend free time.
  • Mentors empower children, creating brighter futures.

Contact Karen Cohen at 561-684-1991 or visit jfcsonline.com for more information on The Judith and Jack Rosenberg Mentoring for Kids Program, or to inquire about becoming or finding a mentor.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers