Featured Stories

Reading and the Radio

“Reading on the Radio,” a program of the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County and WILD 95.5 supports and promotes the joy of reading. During the past school year, the initiative helped get children excited about reading…and let the public know about the station’s involvement in helping children learn to read.

The WILD 95.5 team – Kevin, Virginia and Jason – shared their love of reading with third- to fifth-grade students throughout our county by sharing passages from Florida Sunshine State and school district-approved books, including “Aliens on Vacation”, “Bad Kitty for President”, “Edgar Allan’s Crime Investigation” and “Guinea Dog”. Kevin is a long-term supporter of education (his wife is a teacher), reading to classes for the past 12 years.

As they read the books of their choice they were videotaped, with the presentations being shared by teachers with their students. Plus, on Fridays at 6:45 a.m., listeners could hear questions about the story that was read that week. Students were encouraged to call-to answer the question and win a pizza party for their classroom. What an incentive that was, since virtually everyone loves pizza!

The elementary schools that participate in Federation’s Anne & Sam Klein Jewish Coalition for Literacy program that brings Reading Partners to help children learn to read were all invited to participate. One of the schools who got involved was Acreage Pines. The school’s morning news included reminder announcements about the contest and, as a result, the school took the weekly prize two weeks running!

“I cannot tell you how fulfilling it was to tune in, holding my breath, waiting to hear who got through and if they knew the answer,” said Principal Amy Dujon. “I was so proud, and must have been entertaining to the drivers around me who saw me scream with joy as I drove to work!"

We learned that some of the students actually set their alarm clocks so they would have enough time to call in, and that students had “strategies” for how they were going to be the winning reader.

The program was a rousing success, and will continue for another academic year.

For more information, contact Sheri Siegal at 561-242-6694.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers