Strengthening Diplomatic Efforts to Prevent a Nuclear Iran
The Jewish Community Relations Council of the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County is joining Federations across the country, as well as other Jewish organizations, to encourage you to thank our congressional leaders who have co-sponsored a bill that strengthens American diplomatic efforts to prevent Iran from achieving nuclear weapons capabilities with conditional sanctions. We also encourage you to urge congressional leaders who have not signed on to the bill to do so.
The Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act of 2013, authored by Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL), and cosponsored by twenty-five Democratic and Republican Senators would strengthen American diplomatic efforts to prevent Iran from achieving nuclear weapons capability.
The legislation will:
• Give the president time for negotiations to achieve a final agreement without requiring additional sanctions during talks.
• Expand U.S. sanctions on Iran if it fails to negotiate a final agreement on its nuclear program.
• Provide guidance to the administration for the acceptable contours of a final agreement between Tehran and the permanent five members of the U.N. Security Council (The United States, France, Great Britain, Russia and China) and Germany.
• Codify President Obama’s pledge that new sanctions will be forthcoming if a final agreement cannot be reached that “makes it impossible [for Iran] to develop a nuclear weapon.”
1. Florida Senator Marco Rubio has already added his name to the list of co-sponsors. Please thank Senator Rubio for his support.
Sample Phone Script:
"I am calling the Senator to thank him for cosponsoring The Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act. This legislation will strengthen American diplomatic efforts to prevent Iran from achieving a nuclear weapons capability."
2. Florida Senator Bill Nelson has not yet added his name to the list of sponsors.
Sample Phone Script:
"I am calling the Senator to urge him to cosponsor The Nuclear Weapon Free Iran Act. This legislation will strengthen American diplomatic efforts to prevent Iran from achieving a nuclear weapons capability."
If you reside part time in another state in addition to Florida, we encourage you to contact your Senators there to either thank them for co-sponsoring the bill or to encourage them to co-sponsor the bill depending on what position they have taken regarding the bill.
You can email your Senators here or call 202-224-3121 and ask for your Senator.
• This legislation meets the President’s request that no additional sanctions be imposed during the talks. New sanctions, provided for in the bill, would be suspended for up to a year to allow negotiations for a final agreement and could be suspended further if an acceptable final agreement with Iran is reached.
• Previous sanctions passed by Congress brought Iran to the table. The possibility of further sanctions serves as additional inducement for Iran to negotiate an acceptable final agreement.
• The administration itself has continued to enforce sanctions, designating more than a dozen entities in December. Despite threats to walk away from the agreement, Iran remains at the negotiating table. If Iran walks away, it knows that it will not receive desperately needed sanctions relief.
• It is not only appropriate, but critical, for Congress to outline its views concerning an acceptable final deal while diplomacy is underway.
Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County is collaborating with other south Florida Federations and other Jewish agencies to develop a letter signed by the leadership of all the organizations urging Senator Nelson to sign on to the bill that imposes conditional sanctions to strengthen American diplomatic efforts that prevent Iran from achieving nuclear weapons capabilities.
If you have any questions or would like more information about Federation’s JCRC, please contact Luis Fleischman at (561) 242-6670 or Luis.Fleischman@jewishpalmbeach.org.