Thousands of Ukraine's Jews making Aliyah through Gifts to Federation
Your generosity is ensuring the continued work of our partners on the ground in Ukraine, who are providing life-saving services for the hundreds of thousands of Jews affected by the violent conflict.
Because of your generosity, Jews who want to make Aliyah are doing so safely and with the resources that allow them to succeed in Israel. Others are staying connected to their Jewish community and active in Jewish life.
- 4,500 new olim from Ukraine have safely arrived in Israel in 2014 – an increase of 178% over last year. In some regions of the country, Aliyah is up more than 2,000%.
- 400 teens and young adults who made Aliyah from Ukraine in 2014 are starting their new lives as Israelis with Federation-supported Young Adult Absorption programs.
- 230 young students in Ukraine are able to attend 11 Sunday schools being operated through your donations.
- 4,150 Jewish children started the new school year at 18 Jewish day schools in Ukraine.
- 530 students are learning Hebrew in 45 Ulpan classes operating throughout Ukraine by our partners, including in the eastern part of the country where anti-Semitism is most rampant.
A Story out of Ukraine – Who Your Dollars are Helping
In Donetsk, Igor was an engineer and Oksana was a stay-at-home mom. They enjoyed Jewish family life: Igor went to synagogue regularly, and the entire family studied Hebrew with Alexander, a Hebrew teacher through Federation's partner, the Jewish Agency.
With the war, both students and teacher faced a new reality of violence and anti-Semitism. They all evacuated their homes. But the Igor and Oksana continued studying Hebrew with Alexander in a Jewish Agency refugee center for future olim.
Today, the Temniks are living on a kibbutz in Israel through the Federation-supported “First Home in the Homeland” absorption program.
“We are so grateful for the shelter, help and care that we received at the refugee center,” they said. “It was a real temporary shelter on our way to Israel.”
The impact you make with your gift to Federation exemplifies the collective power of giving.
Your donations are combined with millions of dollars from your friends and neighbors that support our partners, who are saving lives every day in Ukraine (JDC and JAFI). These organizations use the dollars we raise to provide vital services during urgent situations affecting the Jewish people.
The unique opportunity your gift to Federation offers is the life-changing work you are also ensuring through our many local, national and global partners. Each gift makes a lasting impact in our area, Israel and 70 countries around the world.
Federation works to enrich Jewish life, care for vulnerable populations and build global Jewish community. To learn more about the impact you make with a gift to Federation, click here.