Featured Stories

Women's Philanthropy Clothing Drive Deemed a Success

“I knew a woman who has a closet the size of this boardroom,” said Helene Weingarten, motioning around the space now filled with over 1,500 lbs. of donated clothes and accessories. “I asked her, ‘Why don’t you give this stuff to people who need it?'  But she wouldn't do it."

Thankfully, there is a large number of people in our area who feel much differently about generosity and making a true impact on the community.

Through the month of February, Women’s Philanthropy held a clothing drive, with boxes placed at Federation's offices and Evelyn & Arthur clothing stores throughout Palm Beach County.

Over the course of a month, the boxes filled up.  Collected items included workplace and interview outfits, casual and formal wear, shoes, accessories, handbags even clothing for men and teens.

They're now being sent to various charities that assist women in need in our community.  Every item will make a difference.

"My parents never had a lot of money to give away,” continued Helene, a volunteer for the clothing drive. “They always said, ‘We don’t have enough to make a difference with Jewish Federation.’  But they were wrong.  Whatever you give is always enough.  As long as you're giving something, its value is significant."

One of the charities that will distribute items is Dress for Success, which provides clothing and training for women seeking employment.  Another, aptly named There is H.O.P.E. for Me, is a non-profit that helps those affected by abuse and human trafficking.

“How could you not help people?” asked Helene thoughtfully, returning to the three-quarters-of-a-ton of clothing, dividing them into categories, organizing them, helping them get to the places they belong.

With a little help, every blouse, suit and bag will make a difference in the life of the person wearing it.

“Clothes aren’t going to change the world. The women who wear them will.” – Anne Klein

Women's Philanthropy, a department of the Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County, empowers women in our community and around the world.

Jewish Federation enriches Jewish life, cares for vulnerable populations and builds global Jewish community.

Get in Touch

The Jewish Federation of
Palm Beach County

4601 Community Drive
West Palm Beach, FL 33417-2760
561-478-0700
Contact Us

Site Map | Terms | Privacy
Responsibilities of Providers