Comprehensive Iran Talking Points
- Early in November the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) issued an unprecedented and detailed report which provides the agency’s confirmation that Iran is closing in on the capability to produce nuclear weapons.
- The IAEA revealed that Iran has procured nuclear-related and dual –use equipment and materials by military related individuals and entities.
- Likewise, the IAEA found undisclosed facilities to produce nuclear material for the core of a weapon. Iran has also worked on the development of an indigenous design of a nuclear weapon.
- Iran has also developed experiment and testing equipment for nuclear weapons. Iran carried out computer models of nuclear explosions and conducted experiments on nuclear triggers used to detonate a bomb.
- Iran has also embarked in in the development of missiles capable of carrying nuclear weapons.
- That report was followed by sanctions from the United States and the European Union. Great Britain went the farthest by sanctioning Iran’s Central bank.
- This is why it is imperative that Iran stop its nuclear weapons program. A nuclear-armed Iran is a threat to America and the world because it would arm the world's leading sponsor of terrorism with the ultimate weapon.
- Indeed Iran is the leading state sponsor of terrorism. It supports Hamas and Hizballah and is also arming insurgents fighting U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. If SB 792 passes it will add substantially to the effort to prevent Iran from becoming a nuclear power.
- In December 2011, the act was passed by the Senate Banking and Insurance Committee. However, it will need to be passed by more committees.
Please call and/or email our local representatives and tell them your thoughts! Contact information is available here.